Friday 27 November 2015

Speech! Speech!

It turns out to be pretty challenging to write a two minute speech. When you are passionate and have so much to say, finding the right words can be pretty difficult. Below is the full length version of my speech from Wednesday's hustings. Please read, and if you feel like, comment, share, challenge. I'm listening:

"I was delighted that the Southside Greens chose Govan as one of it’s target wards for the 2017 Glasgow CIty Council elections. Govan is a ward of continuous regeneration, and an area which I believe the Party should embrace.

As a former resident of Ibrox, I know that access to green spaces, affordable housing, childcare, education, and the regeneration of the Clydeside are issues which are as important to the people of these communities, as they are to the Party. It’s hard to ignore the importance of Govan in the political and social history of Glasgow, and this is one of the reasons that I love Govan.

This ward has seen many grass-root groups form as a reaction to local issues. Projects such as the Tea in the Pot have grown to help empower women in their own lives and encourage them become actively engaged in their own communities. Just across the road is the base of Starter Packs who help those making the transition from homelessness to tenancy. The Kinning Park Complex is more than just a space for people to meet, learn, celebrate. It is an asset to not just its local community but the city has a whole.

I find such groups inspiring, and for me, peer support is an invaluable resource and one I have found, through personal experience, to be at the heart of our Party. Helping such groups to shape their own lives is something I would do my utmost to promote and assist. I see the role of a Councillor as not just a political job, but also as a listener, a mediator, and as a supporter to citizens who might often feel helpless or frustrated.

I appreciate that some people might be unsure about the challenges that this ward presents. This is new territory for us. We are aiming for 11 Target wards, which is no mean feat, but I believe this branch has the courage and energy to rise to the challenge. The South-side sub-branch has a large membership, we already have members in this ward, and I am confident that we can all work together to make a Green Govan a reality.

On an individual level, I stand with a genuine interest and commitment to the people of Govan, whilst on a party level, I stand with fellow Green Councillors sharing concerns on social, economical and environmental issues. Glasgow could and should be a council leading the way for local authorities on these issues. It would be an honour to be part of a Green Team of councillors working to make this happen for the people of Glasgow and our Party.

This is my first time standing for such a position. I am currently an Ordinary Member on the Southside Organising Committee, as well as the Glasgow representative of the Women’s Network. These roles allow me to develop not only my interests of local politics and women’s issues, but my people skills and confidence too.

I currently work part time in an archive, as well as a self employed cat sitter in the south-side of Glasgow. Prior to this I worked in stage management. You might ask, how does this qualify me to be a councillor? Well, stage management involves working extremely long hours, contending with a variety of personalities and situations, putting other’s needs before my own. My work at the Archive encompasses everything from administration, community outreach, and being trusted with delicate objects and information. Lastly, cat sitting is not just a way to legitimise my cat lady status. From Castlemilk to Craigton, I have been getting to know like minded cat lovers of all ages, from all walks of life. Providing people with a trustworthy and reliable service has lead to many of my customers have since become friends.

For what I lack in practical experience of of the role, I make up for in passion and determination. I am standing to be councillor for Govan because I believe I have the open-mindedness, patience and integrity needed to be the elected representative of the people of this ward."

No comments:

Post a Comment